Tuesday, September 7, 2010

I hate everybody a lot or "Pregnancy hormones: American HELLthcare version"

Well, I've had a very eventful weekend, which I will tell you all about below in great detail. I am OK, the fetus is OK, but damned if I don't feel pulled through the wringer and angry with, like, everybody in the world right now (saving y'all, of course).


My doctor was supposed to get back to me on Friday morning with the results of my progesterone test. She didn't by noon, so I called her office. She told me she would call me back between 1 and 4. I waited until 3:30 and called back. They were closed for the long weekend! No results for me.


So I just told myself that I would have a long weekend, and get my results on Tuesday. Sunday I went to a friend's cookout, and had a wonderful time. After having been there for three hours or so I went to the bathroom and (WARNING: I AM ABOUT TO TALK ABOUT MUCUS) when I wiped, I noticed a glob of faint pinky-yellow mucus on the tissue. I knew this was probably normal, but anyway, I got James and we left and I tried to call my doctor's answering service to check it was OK. Oh, except she doesn't have an answering service. "Go to urgent care," said the message on the machine, so I went, and urgent care wouldn't see me and sent me to the EMERGENCY ROOM instead.


At this point, I am pretty sure this is a tempest in a teapot, but once you have started the emergency room process and you are pregnant and you mention bleeding, certain things have to happen. You get a pelvic exam. You get a ton of blood taken. You get a sonogram. You get an IV. You get to wait in a curtained off room for four hours while a person pukes in the room next to you, all the time wearing a thin gown with no back. Oh, and if you're really lucky? You get to do all this with your MOTHER IN LAW there.


James made the mistake of calling his mom to ask exactly where the Alexandria Inova Hospital was, since we are in criminal good health and have never been there. She told us, and we drove there. Then I'm waiting to check in and D. runs up, like, what are you doing here? Nobody asked you to come. And we would have, if we had wanted you here. But we didn't. So can you please go home? "I'd prefer to stay," she says, all reverse Bartleby the Scrivener. And I could not get her to leave. I thought at least she would wait in the waiting room, but when the nurse took me back she barged along with us and into my cube and sat down beside my bed and DIDN'T LEAVE for four hours. I tried to politely ask her to leave and she just didn't get it, or was deliberately obtuse about it, saying, "Oh, I don't mind staying. I'm so worried!" And then I felt like I couldn't be rude to her and be like, "NO. You really HAVE to go."


I know she was concerned and I am trying really hard to focus on that, but it was so humiliating and upsetting to have her there. I am so embarrassed that my MIL saw my bare ass. And it angered me that she kept trying to give my information to the doctor. She doesn't know a thing about my medical history, and she's not "Mom," like she told all the doctors and nurses, so that they thought she was my mom. She had to be literally pushed from the room when I was having my pelvic exam.


So I was mad at her for not taking the hint and leaving, and I was mad at James for not asking her to leave, and I am mad at my doctor for never calling me back with my test results and then I got to be mad at the sonogram lady, who tells me that she can't find anything on the sonogram and am I sure I'm really pregnant? Not what you want to hear when you are in that position, that there's no baby and maybe never was one. "Or it could be too early," she says like it just occurred to her, after I've started sobbing. Maybe you could have started with that? Way to bury the lead, lady.


Long story short: they diagnosed me with a threatened miscarriage, even though I only had that one clump of pink mucus, but the way I understand it is that they only did that because it was too early, maybe, at 4w5d, to find a sac or fetal pole on sonogram. Or else there's not one there and I really am in trouble? I don't know. My pregnancy hormone is detectable and doubling so that's a good sign. It was 302 on Thursday at my OB's, and it was 995 on Sunday night. I had blood taken today and if its gone up, we're happy. My progesterone is 14.1, and it has to be higher than 9. So, fine? Or low, but not dangerous? I don't know, and I wish I could get a straight answer out of anybody, but I can't because everyone seems to talk in circles. "The higher it is obviously the better but you know there's a threshold and yours is above that so that's good, but everything is different, of course, and you probably don't have any reason to worry, unless…" WHAT ARE YOU SAYING? YES OR NO? GIVE ME A THUMBS UP OR THUMBS DOWN, for crying out LOUD!!!!


The doctor told me I "shouldn't worry at this point" and that really there would be no way to see anything on a sonogram until 6 weeks, and that everything is "probably fine," and that's going to have to suffice, I guess. I haven't had anymore spotting or pink mucus since the first and only instance of it on Sunday, and I am still pretty sure that everything is OK, but even so I feel like everyone in the world is conspiring to strip all the joy from this situation that they can and I hate them for that.


And I really hate my mother in law. I shouldn't use the word "hate," but honestly, I think I probably do hate her right now. I don't know where she got this notion that she has lifetime front row seats to every single event in my life. I feel like if she could have, she would have wanted to be there when the baby was conceived. This has to freaking stop or I will seriously strangle her, and I'll probably get off due to my temporary pregnancy insanity right now and now I have to stop. Because this idea is sounding really, really, too great to me right now. Please send prayers both for my little guy and for me, so that I don't actually cause bodily harm to anybody. These hormones are starting to be murder.

9 comments:

  1. You're scared, you're worried, and do I need to buy James a friggin' gps? :) No I know how you feel. when I started really having complications, I made the mistake of letting my mother know. So, she decided to come "help" me at my house. She called once or twice, but I didn't answer. She couldn't catch on that I just wanted to be left alone then. I caused more stress than was needed. Stress is the one thing that you never need.

    I'm sorry your MIL was so invasive, though I'm sure she was probably worried about you. I'm guessing she knows you're pregnant now, right?

    It's early, really too early to see much. Some stuff is ok, because of implantation. I'm praying for you both right now and will continue to do so. You can't help be be scared and worried right now. I've been in your shoes, sans IV. My first scare was New Years Eve. Long weekends suck when you're worried. Oh, I wish I could just hug you right now.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Cathy, I am SO sorry. I remember being in the hospital right after Joy was born, and listening to what seemed like half a dozen different nurses and doctors telling me all these inexplicable things about her jaundice, and panicking that she was going to have permanent liver or brain damage, and oh, the sweet relief when her pediatrician walked in, introduced himself, and broke it all down into simple terms that we could understand, and reassured us that she was JUST FINE. I have a theory about nurses: they have an inferiority complex at NOT being doctors, so they deliberately go out of their way to sound all important and all-knowing to we lowly patients, just so they can feel superior to us. Of course, that doesn't explain why so many doctors are also deliberately incomprehensible ...

    As for the MIL problems, all I can do is sympathize there. I wanted to strangle mine through all my pregnancy and most of the first year of Joy's life. She was better with Grace, but still drove me up the wall!

    Praying for you and the wee one, for peace of mind and physical AND emotional strength!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thank you, guys! Like I said, everything seems to be fine, it just really, really upsets me that nobody can say, "Everything is fine" and leave it at that. Instead it's, "Everything is fine but you know we have to be cautious and just in case we could do this test..." And Adrienne, you're right about long weekends when you are worried. I got through it by imagining all the ways in which I would sue my doctor if anything was to happen.

    But still, I welcome the prayers. Please pray for my MIL to take a long, long vacation to the wilds of Mongolia for the next year or so? ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Only is she takes my mother with her. I think part of the problem with a lot of doctors and nurses when it comes to such early stages in pregnancy is that they don't know what to say. We're looking for definitive answers when they don't really have any. Everything, especially in the first twelve weeks, is a matter of chance. There are some things they can do to help, but in the end, it's a matter of God's will.

    Just remember that even though I had a miscarriage, it doesn't mean you will. An if - I don't even want to bring this up - IF something happens, you CAN get pregnant. I pray nothing happens though.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Plus the docs have to cover their backs - if they tell you everything is absolutely fine, and then something goes wrong, they're liable. So they always have to add these clauses - and I don't even know why I'm bothering to tell YOU this, you're the one with the law degree!

    Sometimes I think the best thing about moving to Chicago for Carl's seminary will be that we'll be far, far away from in-laws. And then somedays I think even Chicago's not far enough, maybe Russia has a good seminary!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know, I know--those rules apply to other people, but not to me, surely? Of course the doctors can deduce that I am above the standard rules and that they can just TELL ME ALREADY TELL ME TELL ME I AM GOING CRAZY HERE! ;)

    Louise: I have to admit that one of our biggest factors in the move to Richmond that we're planning is to be a little closer to my family and a little further from his, at least on my side. James's family lives a mile away, and I don't think it's healthy when a grown man and his wife still operate as though they are living as part of his parents' family. It makes a lot of bitterness for me.

    James's mother IS acting as though it's Russia, though. You would think Richmond was in Nepal and not less than NINETY MILES away from her house. (Did I mention her other daughter just moved to MAINE?)

    I am sure when we are Mothers-in-law we will be far more reasonable than this, and never pull shenanigans.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I hope to be more like my mother-in-law and hardly anything like my mother. I live 70 miles from her, and she seems to think that I live a mile from her. I haven't heard from her since I told her she couldn't come see me this past weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Adrienne: really? Is she sulking or do you think there's a chance she's stepping back appropriately?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Sulking. The woman doesn't know the meaning of appropriate anymore.

    ReplyDelete