Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Picture post

I've been super busy/sick/tired lately so I haven't had the energy to do much beside work/eat/sleep. But a lot has been going on! My brain has sort of stopped functioning properly enough to tell you about it, though. So I'm going to rely heavily on visual aids to get me through this post.

First, and most importantly:

This is the Jawbone 3 weeks ago at 7w1d. It was the first time he looked like anything more than a speck and it was so, so exciting to us. We saw his heart beating again, not just a flicker like the first time but more like an actual heart, with a pumping motion. (His heart rate was 140, which puts him right on the cusp of that old wives' tale: below 140 bpm is a girl and above 140 bpm is a boy. I still think boy, though, and James still thinks girl.)

We were just amazed by this picture, and we didn't mind at all that our baby looked like a delicious shrimp and not actually like a baby at all. So imagine how we felt when we saw him again:


That looks definitively babyish at 9w1d. Here's Jawby hanging out upside down like a bat. Bat-baby! His head is on the left and you can see his little feet sticking out on the right. And when we were there, we not only saw his heart beating some more, but we saw him moving his arms, legs, back, and head!!

He is 2.36 centimeters (or was, there--I understand this is a big growing week for him, so he's almost double that, now, or should be). That's about an inch, and about the size of a medium green olive (which actually...sounds pretty yummy. I need olives. And I don't even LIKE olives!)

James totaled the old green Camry last week (he's OK, the car is, sadly, not) in the lamest accident resulting in a totaled car ever (but the safest, so we're not complaining). He was pulling out of a parallel parking spot on the street and a guy came roaring by and smashed into him, crumpling the hood and breaking an axle. So....we got a new car!


It is a silver 2007 Toyota Rav4 with 35,000 miles on it. It was listed for a good price, but even so, James haggled them down another 1,000 and got the dealership to pay the taxes on it for us. This is the first time we have ever really bought a car instead of just driving what our parents didn't want or buying a car from a friend for $300 or so, so he had never bargained like that before and I wasn't sure he could. Disloyal wife! I was so nervous, and then when the salesman agreed, I wanted to jump up and down going, "IN YOUR FACE! HA HA! WE GOT YOU!" I think James did, too, but instead we settled for giving each other a surreptitious high five under the desk where they couldn't see.

We love the new car. It has already been to Roanoke and Norfolk. It has so much space and is so clean and I love driving it.

Because we saved so much money on the car, we can afford to replace the gross old couch and chair we've had since 2001. We're thinking of something like this:



The fabric is microfiber, and the color would be the lighter khaki instead of the darker sand on top. I'm not 100% sure about this couch because I find the arms a little funky, but I like the shape of it overall and I like the three-cushion back a lot. And the space underneath would keep things from becoming irretrievably lost under there (Like the TiVo remote that was missing for three months...)

I won't let anybody buy anything for the baby until 12 weeks (only 14 days to go!!!) and that includes James (although he might have accidentally gotten some little pumpkin socks) and me (who might have sort of kind of gotten the baby a book called The Fat Cat Sat on the Mat--but only because the cat looks like our Hank). But it hasn't stopped us from planning out what to do with the study when the baby is born. Right now, James works from home at the dining room table and I work in the second bedroom. But I've heard from all kinds of people about how HA HA you can't work in the same room where the baby is sleeping YOU CRAZY PERSON AHAHAHAHAHA. So we were chagrined to find out we probably wouldn't be able to have a nursery/home office like we had planned.

Our condo is really, really small, guys.

We have about 850 square feet. That's not a lot, since it feels like 30 or 40 percent of that is taken up by closets. We have 9 closets in this place, including pantries and the double closets in the bedrooms. I am not complaning, since I love closets for storage, but it does make it rather difficult to position furniture in the rooms. There are only so many combinations that don't leave you blocking a door.

This weekend, I made James push all the furniture around in the living room, wondering where we could fit an extra desk. (We call this game House Tetris, but it is NOT AS FUN and FAR MORE SWEATY than regular Tetris.) It was very frustrating because there was no good solution and I made James push the furniture around for two hours and finally we got snappish with each other and went to bed.

In the middle of the night, one on of my frequent (bi-hourly) bathroom breaks, I got an idea. A brilliant idea. This morning, I sat down and drew up a plan that I am pretty sure will allow us to have a workspace in the living room without sacrificing space or aesthetics.

Here is our living room as it stands now:

This is not really done to scale, but I think it gives you an idea of what we have to work with now. But this is what I think can happen:


The wine bar didn't make it--I think with it it will look too crowded--but I don't know where we'll put everything in it. I guess I could buy one of those vintage-y globe liquor cabinets or put a wine rack in the kitchen?

A better illustration of the desk/TV setup:

I get a workspace and I get to have my house still look nice and Pottery-Barn-esque. James gets a flatscreen TV! And Jawbone gets his very own room. Everybody wins!

James thinks that if it works, I should take pictures and send them to Apartment Therapy. I probably won't, but this post has given me the idea of doing a virtual tour around my house--I wish I had more pictures of different places I have lived throughout my life. I don't remember places very well--I have vague ideas, but it would be nice to have a concrete reminder of things. And it's neat to be able to look back and see how my design style--how my idea of home--has changed over the years.

I wish the gorgeous crisp weather we were having would come back and replace this muggy awfulness. Autumn, where are you?

11 comments:

  1. Jawbone is so cute! I'm sure you're loving the Rav4. My next vehicle will be the Highlander or equivalent. That won't happen until the Tundra is paid off though.

    How can I put this nicely... You're having a baby, and you're thinking of buying light-colored furniture???? Really? I think it's awesome looking, but even the most well-behaved child is going to have spills, jam-hands, projectile vomits, blowout diapers from hell, and leaky diapers.

    How'd you draw up your plans? That looks like something Bart did in AutoCad when we bought our bedroom furniture.

    The leaves are starting to turn here, and though it was warm again for a few days, we were covered with a fog this morning. I think I'm going to have to cajole Bart into getting out, somewhere this weekend.

    Now I have Tetris music playing in my head.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aw, sweet li'l Jawbone! We only had one ultrasound with Joy, and two with Grace, so it's really fun for me to see my friends' pictures along the way.

    Congrats on the new car! We're going to need a bigger vehicle soon ... our little Corolla gets cramped with all four of us, especially on long trips when we have to bring STUFF. You'll have to let me know what you think of the Rav4!

    As for the furniture - as Adrienne said, it will definitely show stains, but on the other hand, I have friends with kids who have light furniture, and they just keep a box of baby wipes on hand to immediately clean up any spills. Baby wipes are magic ... one of my friends once spilled chocolate milk on her white shirt, and after a few minutes with a baby wipe, you couldn't see anything. Incredible! I've told Carl that we'll have to keep wipes on hand even after both girls are out of diapers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just always think of my sister's furniture she got before Emma was born. That was nasty stuff. I won't deny that they've all lived like pigs at one time or another either, though. Housecleaning has never been my sister's strong suit.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I'll probably stick with light though I agree you have a point, simply because dark shows cat hair and that depresses me. Luckily, one of the reasons I got microfiber is because it is so so easy to clean. I can't tell you the number of times I have spilled food or coffee or had a cat puke on it and just whipped off the cover and thrown it into the laundry.

    I drew the plans in Paint because I'm awesome (and OCD) like that.

    Elouise, I looooooooooooooooooooooooooove the Rav4. So easy to drive, because it's on a car chassis, but tall enough so I don't feel like people in Suburbans are going to roll over me. In short: highly recommended. We test drove the Highlander, but they were a little out of our price range and a little too big for me to handle comfortably. But so nice!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, the cat hair! LOL! It was very handy when we got Lucy that she basically matches our couch. Dory's black hair is much more noticeable. We keep a blanket on except for when we have company anyway though, because they have a tendency to be wet a lot. In fact, it hadn't rained at the house today, but Lucy was wet when I came home at lunch. Obviously she and Dory had played chase, she got hot, and took a dip in their pool.

    Driving your RAV 4 is probably a lot like driving my 07 Camry. Talking about being too big... I still haven't driven Bart's Tundra. I don't plan on it. It's HUGE! Bart had to get used to driving it, because his old Silverado wasn't really very big at all. It also comes in handy quite often though.

    We (he) test drove a Highlander too, when we were truck looking. I'm pretty sure I can handle that. Bart thought it felt too car-like. He's a truck guy, and honestly needs it with his line of work. I handled that 4-door Jeep I had to drive earlier this year fairly well, so the Highlander should be ok.

    Oh well, it doesn't matter. The truck is still very new, and we both agreed that I don't get a new vehicle until I'm staying at home, because my car gets dinged up horribly while I'm at work.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, did you look at the Venza's any? I think they're neat, however they have like 20" wheels on them and are over-priced.

    ReplyDelete
  7. One of the main reasons I refuse to get a pet (besides the fact that it's really impractical given how much we have and are planning to move), is that I cannot STAND animal hair on furniture/clothing/anything. I shed enough for two people, we certainly don't need a pet adding to the mix!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Don't ever eat at my house then. We keep the house very clean, but a hair will pop up here and there all the time. Of course, since I'm snuggled in bed with two hairy beasts right now, I'm a little prejudiced.

    Of course I find it very relaxing to bury my nose in their fur, too. I wouldn't do that if they were dirty dogs and smelled badly though. Lucy is soft, but Dory has fur they would make teddy bears out of. I'll take the hair for the cuddles. :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I hate the hair and haven't, in 10 years of cat ownership, learned yet to give up a losing battle against it. But I do have to admit, like Adrienne, that there is nothing like it when my little white cat (the softest!) curls up under my chin on a cold winter morning in bed. And purrs and purrs...oh, FINE. I'll take it, fur and all.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Our greatest tool in the battle against pet fur is the Dyson Animal vacuum - the one without the ball. That, and the furminator. We liked ours so much that we got one for the in-laws, since the have an outside dog and two cats that mostly live indoors.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I should clarify - if the animals are clean and living at somebody else's house, I don't mind. It's just my house, or if the animals haven't been bathed or even brushed for three months ...

    ReplyDelete